Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I am trying to replace a single pole switch which has 2

Customer Question

I am trying to replace a single pole switch which has 2 black wires stabbed in the back and one black wire attached to the top screw. Also have ground and neutral wires I am having issue with determining which black wire goes where on my new leviton dimmer switch which has a black,red,white and green wires I attached white to neutral, green to ground but confused on which 2 back wires to join to red. and which black to connect to black
JA: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out. I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: couple of days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think I told you all I know
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Touch the blacks to each other and see when the light works. Now attach the remaining black to the black dimmer wire. You may need to swap the original 2 blacks. If you have a voltage tester you could easily identify the hot wire.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank You for your response. I do not have a Voltage Tester. I attached 2 black wires to Red Wire on the Dimmer and 1 Black wire to black wire on the Dimmer. Now the light is always ON irrespective of the switch and the patio light is not turning ON at all.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 26 days ago.

Swap the blacks as instructed. That's why I told you to.