Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have recessed lighting in my house and one socket has a

Customer Question

I have recessed lighting in my house and one socket has a working light bulb in in it, but it does not work. When i twist it in, it comes back on, but then goes out without an hour or two. Any idea what is going on?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of light bulb are you using? Incandescent or CFL or LED or other?

2) Have you checked the label at the bulb socket to confirm that the light bulb wattage does not exceed the socket wattage rating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Incandesent and yes the wattage is correct. I have 10 of these sockets in my house and there is only one that has this issue. It's started happening about 6 months ago and the socket is from the 2011 renoviation
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Since the wattage ratings are OK, you either have a loose wire splice inside that can or possible that the brass spring connection to the light bulb tip is pushed down to far and is not making correct contact.

2) I recommend to turn the wall switch and the controlling circuit breaker to the OFF position. Then get a plastic knife and gently pry the middle brass tab inside the socket towards you. Then restore power and test the bulb. Don't screw the light bulb into the socket where it is too tight.

See diagram shown below:

3) If pulling the brass tab in the socket does not work, then most likely a loose wire splice either at that can light or at the next upstream can light. You would need to check the wire splices in both can light splice boxes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow this is great. Will try this. Thank you
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

OK, very good. Reply back and let me know how you made out and we can take it from there if necessary.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)