Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My kitchen lights were on this morning when i came back down

Customer Question

my kitchen lights were on this morning when i came back down stairs a little later they were off. i checked the break which is on the same breaker as my living room lights and the are working.i reset my gfci outlet in the kitchen, bathroom and outside and the still will not work. oh i also put new light bulbs in. What could be the problem
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is something simple
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that is it
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What kind of light bulbs? Incandescent or LED or CFL or Halogen? Are the light bulb sockets the traditional Edison type of sockets?

2) Are the kitchen lights a traditional 120 volt system or a low voltage lighting system?

3) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available to take some voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they are Philips Indoor Flood lights 65w BR30
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available to take some voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I sure don't
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oh it is 120v
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but i put these lights in after the old ones went out even the light switch sounds different than the others when flipping them off and on
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Not much you can do without having a multi-meter. the meter is used to confirm for voltage or lack of voltage at either the light bulb sockets and/or the wall switch or switches. In problems such as this, it can ether be a loose wire termination at a light fixture or a faulty switch or a loose switch wire.

2) Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a friend or a neighbor? If not, multi-meters cost less than $25 at any Home Depot or Lowe's

3) What type of bulbs were originally installed when they were working?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they were not philips but same type of light bulb, the strange thing is that my kitchen lights are on the same breaker as my living room lights and hallway light and the are still working and i have tripped all the gcfi in the kitchen and in the rest of the house
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i rest them
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) I doubt that the kitchen lights will be wired to a GFCI.

2) You need a multi-meter to confirm the problem and then to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok it looks like i am going to have to go get a multi-meters tomorrow once i have it what should i do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will get the multi-meter tomorrow and just come back to this sight. Just from hearing what i have told you. Can you tell me weather it could or could not be something serious
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hey Kevin if that is it, thank you for your help i will get the multi-meters
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Get a 2 wire lead multi-meter and reply back to me tomorrow and I can walk you thru the testing/troubleshooting. Just come back to the same question as you have been doing. I will be logged on here.

Doubt if the problem is serious. Will either be a loose wire termination or a possible faulty wall switch. In the interim, I suggest to leave the light switch or switches in the OFF position until tomorrow.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Shown in the link below is an affordable multi-meter sold at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Manual-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-MS8301A/206177756

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)