Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I have a yellow light on my outside GFCI. It will reset when

Customer Question

I have a yellow light on my outside GFCI. It will reset when I hit the test button but the color goes back to yellow. No green, no power but yellow light is still on. Bad GFCI?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: first time. the gfci controls an outdoor recepticle that my water feature pump plugs into. This is a dedicated GFCI. NO additional load. When I wen to hit the switch to turn on my water feature, it doesnt work. Yellow light on GFCI comes on when I hit the switch
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Electrician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I suspect that when I sprayed off the patio with the hose, water got into the GFCI. GFCI is located next to the patio, ground level
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have an open house scheduled for Saturday. I need to have this fixed
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not at this time. Just need the GFCI replaced
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You mentioned that the GFCI does not contain a LOAD side connection at the GFCI, correct?

2) Have you unplugged the pump and tried to reset the GFIC? Does it still trip?

3) For now, I recommend to kill power to the circuit breaker and back the GFCI out from the wall box. Perform a visual inspection on the GFCI terminations and/or wire splices. Make sure all are properly connected. Leave the GFCI backed out from the wall for for 1 or 2 days to let it dry. Possibly it got wet inside.

4) If the GFCI still trips when dried out, then I recommend to replace the GFCI.

5) FYI.............all exterior receptacles should have an in-use bubble cover to prevent water from getting inside the receptacle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No load side connection. Dedicated line for purpose. The GFCI light stays yellow after I reset it. The reset clicks so that is working but the light stays yellow. I think a trip to home Depot is in order
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Sounds like you have power to the GFCI but a replacement GFCI may be in order.

2) If you have a multi-meter or a 2 wire AC voltage tester available, you can also confirm for 120 volts at the GFCI LINE side from Hot to Ground and from Hot to Neutral. Also measure from Neutral to Ground and this measurement should = 0 volts.

Reply back and let me know how you make out and we can take it from there if necessary...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 30 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.