Thomas, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner/ Vice President

I'm installing a ceiling fan and I have a blue, black and

Customer Question

Hey there! I'm installing a ceiling fan and I have a blue, black and green wire in my ceiling, and there is a blue, black, and white wire on the fan. I know that black goes to black and blue goes to blue, but what do I do with the other green ceiling wire and white fan wire? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The ceiling box must contain a white neutral wire, otherwise the fan will not work. Take another look at the fan box, there should be a house white neutral wire.

2) The fan box green ground wire gets spliced to the fan green ground wire.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Since I have not heard back from you, I will opt out of the question.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up your question.

Expert:  Thomas replied 29 days ago.

Hi and thank you for using JA! For most ceiling fans with a light kit, the black and blue wires are your power and are typically wired separately to two different switches to control the light and fan independently. If your fan does not have a green wire, it should have a grounding screw that the green wire from your ceiling work box would be attached to for your ground. There definitely needs to be a neutral white wire in your ceiling to connect to the ceiling fan white. If that wire is not there, I highly recommend having an electrician come out and test the wires that are. While most licensed electricians are very reputable and diligent about compliance with codes and methods, I have run across a number of projects that were done by individuals who may not know the specific "rules" (maybe a previous homeowner DIY project) and that can cause confusion or even a potentially dangerous situation for a future installation or repair. Unless you are able to locate the white neutral in the ceiling, I highly recommend having a licensed electrician take a look at it. Better safe than sorry! Thanks again for using JA and I hope this was helpful.