Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am replacing a ceiling lighting fixture. When I removed

Customer Question

I am replacing a ceiling lighting fixture. When I removed the old fluorescent fixture there was no ground wire. Just a white neutral and black hot. The light was on a three-way with the red wire connected onside the junction box. When I hooked up the new light, I connected the included ground to the green screw on the crossbar. After everything was reconnected there was power to the fixture but the lights would not come on. Is it a ground problem? The bulbs are halogen and did work in another fixture so I know it is not the bulbs.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available?

2) Is the ceiling box a metal box and is it grounded?

3) Can you provide more details on the red wire at the junction box?

4) At the two 3-way switches, what are the wire colors that are terminated to each of the black screws on the 3-way switches?

5) How many wires and the wire colors at the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind. I've figured it out
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

OK, very good.