Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My ceiling fan has two bulbs and two wires. the switch has

Customer Question

my ceiling fan has two bulbs and two wires. the switch has broken. my replacement has 3 wires (red, blue, black)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today sorry the issue is my hunter fan has 2 black wires from the light. the replacement switch has the 3 colored wires. how to I connect this new switch? Or can I not use it. I have a single on off wall switch. No dimmer.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. Unless I have to have a 2 wire replacement switch. Where do I get one. Lowes only had the three wire
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I wire up the replacement? I don't have a dimmer. Just simple on/off switch on the wall.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you need a pull chain replacement switch or a wall switch replacement type?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pull chain replacement switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming:)

1) I recommend to contact the following website company (eceilingfans) and provide them with the fan model number and they can get you the correct replacement switch.

See link shown below:

http://eceilingfans.com/index.html

2) Depot and Lowe's only sell a very basic generic replacement switch and these typically do not work on many ceiling fan models.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. so I can not use the 3 wire replacement in place of the current bad 2 wire switch?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

No, anytime replacing a fan pull chain switch, it must be an identical replacement. Otherwise, the switch may not work or may not work correctly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Contact eceilingfans and they can set you up with the correct replacement part for your fan model.

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)