Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I bought a new house and the doorbell only works when you

Customer Question

I bought a new house and the doorbell only works when you hold the button down. If you just push it and let go like normal, it does not work. How can I fix it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since I bought the house
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you need a new door bell button. It's a simple replacement. Just remove the screws holding it in place then disconnect the 2 wires connected to it then reconnect the wires to the new button and screw it back int place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both door bell buttons look new. On line it says that this problem is due to installing a button that does not have a diode or something like that. Is their different kinds of buttons and what kind do I need. Maybe they put the wrong kind of button on.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'M m Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please tell me exactly what the doorbell unit is, a chime, bell or buzzer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has 10 different songs it can play, so I think it is a chime. It also is wired and has a button on the back door and one on the front door. Each have a different chime.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Well it is one of two possibilities. It isn't wired correctly or the unit is defective. The buttons are not the problem. If you could give me the make and model number, I check on the wire connections.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Heathco model number wl-106.
The house has 4 wires but the chime only has three hooked up. Tan wire to front, tan wire to trans, and white wire to back. The red wire is not hooked to anything and there is not a 4th terminal for another wire.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately info on that unit isn't available online. Generally there are 5 terminations for a musical chime unit. 3 are for connection for front and rear buttons. 2 are for direct power for the musical power. Heathco Customer Service 1-***-***-****