Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I'm a woman living alone and cannot affort an electrician to

Customer Question

I'm a woman living alone and cannot affort an electrician to come.
I think I can do it myself. But I need advice and instructions.
I have a kitchen light switch that turns the light on/off in two places. When you enter the kitchen and when I leave going out to the garage to leave.
Both switches have started to not work. How do I fix this? Is it the switches or could it be something as simple as flipping the circuit breaker?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi you are going to start with if you have a GFI outlet in the kitchen or a nearby room which you most likely do........ it is a square receptackle and has a RESET and TEST button on it you want to press the reset until you hear a click and it might solve your problem............if it doesn't we can check the breaker box next .........if you have kitchen lighting marked that would be great if not you are looking for a tripped might only look slightly off and you would turn this one ALL the way to the OFF position and then ALL the way back to the ON position............let me know how this all goes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had already tripped the breakers - nada. I had tested all 4 of my receptacles earlier. But I just did that again and it seemed to have helped. ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why am I having to do this again?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I'm not reading you .......can you elaborate more on what happened and where it is at now

they worked briefly and again they are out?

do you have a GFI?.....and did you reset?