Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I bought a lamp overseas and it has this type of a

Customer Question

I bought a lamp overseas and it has this type of a connection: bma 2315 brevete vde 10a to 250v. It has a single wire that comes into it. How do I connect this to my USA standard ceiling light wires? Do I need a transformer or something?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the light fixture accept a standard US Edison based screw-in light bulb?

2) What are the wire colors on the light fixture cord? Does the cord insulation contain a ribbed and a smooth edge?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it does not take a standard bulb. There is only the black tube that seems to take a single wire connector, attached are pictures of the light.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the pic's.

1) The fixture takes LED type of bulbs that are rated for 240 volts. Since the voltage is a 240 volt input, you would require a step-up transformer for it to work on a typical USA 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit.

2) At the cord connection, there must be 2 separate wires. The fixture will require 1 hot and 1 neutral wire. The plug end would need to be cut-off and connected to a transformer to step the voltage up from USA 120 volts to a 240 volt circuit.

3) Not worth the expense and problems in my opinion on trying to get this fixture to work on a USA 120 volt electrical distribution system. Since a transformer is required, not sure where you would even locate the step-up transformer?

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the pic's.

1) The fixture takes LED type of bulbs and the fixture is rated for 240 volts. Since the voltage is a 240 volt input, you would require a step-up transformer for it to work on a typical USA 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)