Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I have one half of a T - connection on low voltage deck

Customer Question

I have one half of a T - connection on low voltage deck lighting not lighting. On the half T connect the first 4 of 9 lights operate but last 5 lights won't. I briefly got them All to come on but then went out again. At 5 th light connect, the first light not working, I disconnected the connection and I get 11.5 v reading on power and when I just connect the 5 th light to the power, I get 11.5 v of power reading in the light receptical...then I put in NEW Bulb, the light Does NOT come on....when I check the power connection the voltage reading is ZERO. Taking bulb out I get a power reading back of 11.5 v.....I replace bulb and still nothing...then I remove light receptical 5 out of series and connect wire for light 6 through 9 to see if the lights work, no go...reading goes to zero again. So I assume light receptical 5 is is not the problem. I am at a loss....they All worked for a while but now nothing. All lights on other half of T connection work ... Their are 9 lights on each T half, 18 in total...but only 13 lights operate. Transformer is working. I am confused! Am I overlooking something?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, update...this morning for fun I turned on lights and light # 5, 6 and 7 came on But #8 and # 9 still off....strange! This is perplexing!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See next pic the 2 lights to the right are still out the only difference from last night to this morning is Morning DEW!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here it is
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** i would love to try to help

it is possible that you have surpassed that wattage rating for the transformer..what make model transformer/lights are they?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hinkley low voltage transformer(###) ###-#### input: 120v 60 HZ, 5.0 A output; Multitap feature 12v 13v 14v - 600 W total (300 per circuit max) see attached photos

and the lights?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also note I have 2 T wired both with 18 lights on each T thus total 36 lights running Eiko bulbs #912 specs 12.8 v at 1 amp and long run about 60 feet of 12 gauge copper wire
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For each T
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hinkley inset step lights using 12.8v bulbs as stated, you getting pics?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lights are back to not working at #5 light on....according to my calculations with use of bulb 12.8v, 1A and QTY 18 provides 12.8 v X 1A X 18 = 230.4 W accounting for copper run resistance add about 15 W the total is 245 W still less than 300 W max on that circuit....btw the lights worked for several years this issue is a recent problem. Again lights DID work but now don't!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well that is it for $32? No more assistance?.....ok, I learned my wasn't the transformer reaching its limit or the transformer at all. I found the issue and it was simple but NOT obvious it just took time and patience .... Just sunk $32 into the fix that wasn't necessary. Any refund?