Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a submersible pump which supplies my irrigation

Customer Question

I have a submersible pump which supplies my irrigation system. About every 6 to 10-days the circuit breaker trips. How can I test the pump to see if it is wired right or if it is a bad pump?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: the pump was installed 2- months ago and has acted that way ever since it was installed. The electrician who installed the circuit breaker and the pump really switch said he found the wire leading to the pump about 1/2 way between the pump and the breaker and put a tester on the wire. He said the tester said the connection to the pump may be shorting or the pump is malfunctioning. By-the-way, what is the name of the tool the electrician used to test the pump connection or the pump?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: Electrical
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Is it tripping the breaker or the GFCI?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The breaker
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I prefer text. I am hard of hearing even with hearing aids
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am waiting
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Don't worry the phone call request is automatic.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am hard of hearing even with hearing aids
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Is the breaker tripping over several days seems to point to it getting stuck. Generally if the windings are bad it'll trip automatically due to it grounding out on itself.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Second opinion.
The breaker is what is called Inverse Time Trip. That means it will hold on an over current caused by the inrush of a motor starting. Your issue happening at a 6 day interval makes me think that there is a voltage flucuation. When the voltage drops the amperage invreasses.
You need to put a clamp meter on the circuit to see exactly what the load is. If 80℅ of the rating of the breaker it would not be tripping. If over it will be more affected by a drop in voltage. Code allows you to step up one size on the breaker to compensate for the condition
If you want to speak to me on the issue, accept the phone offer.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Standing by for your reply.