Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Trying to install a ceiling fan in a new house. Fan has

Customer Question

Trying to install a ceiling fan in a new house. Fan has black, white, blue and green wire. I'm not doing a light kit, so I capped the blue wire. Green is connected with bare copper ground in the ceiling. There are 2 sets of black and red wires in the ceiling. I tried black to black and red to white with just one set of the ceiling wires. No luck.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A few minutes.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available to confirm the voltage at the ceiling box?

2) How is the fan controlled? By wall switch or pull chains or remote?

3) How many house wires and the wire colors in the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The house is new, I am assuming the voltage is not ok, no tester
There are 2 wall switches, I was told one was for the ceiling fan.
There were two sets of red and black in the Box in the ceiling. They had them connected, separately, with a wire nut.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) 1st off, whenever troubleshooting an electrical problem, you always need a multi-meter readily available. The meter is your best friend and is a necessary testing instrument to confirm voltages. Without a meter, you are wasting time and it becomes a guessing game. Depot or Lowe's both sell meters for $25 or less. Get a meter.

2) Is the wall switch a single pole or a 3-way switch? How many wires are terminated to the switch and the wire colors?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Your wire quantity and color count is not correct. There has to be a white neutral in the ceiling box.

So once again, how many individual house wires and the wire colors present in the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've installed fans before but the wiring was different. No meter, I'm no electrician, just a nw homeowner trying to accomplish this on my own.
The switch is single pole, don't know the termination in the switch.
There are two sets of wires coming out of the ceiling box. Red and black connected with a wire nut. There is the bare copper ground. That's all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I stand corrected. After pulling all the wire out of the box, it is only one set of red and black and then there was a white crammed up on top. I feel pretty stupid right about now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
connect black to black, white to white, and cap off the red?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Kill power to the breaker and temporarily back out the wall switch from the box. I need to know the quantity of wires and wire colors that are terminated to the switch?

2) Switch termination = either side screws or back-stabbed insert holes on the switch. How many and what are the wire colors on the switch?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

So, to confirm, the ceiling box contains 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 bare copper ground, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are four switches and a number of wires. They are inserted through the back.
Two are for other lights, and The last two are supposed to be ceiling fan.
I'm holding off pulling the switches out, it's a little scary in there. I may have to admit defeat.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The thinner profile switch looks like only black wire. The thicker ceiling fan switch looks like red and white.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) You originally mentioned the fan was controlled by a single pole switch, yet now in your most recent answer, the fan is controlled by 2 switches.

I will opt out of the question since I have no idea as to what you have installed and without a meter available, we are both wasting our time and this becomes a time consuming guessing game as to what switch is controlling what. You either need to obtain a meter or contact a local electrician.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified if another electrician picks up the question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks anyhow. I'll get more information from our electrical inspector. Have a good evening
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please just delete this whole question. I don't want anyone else to waste their time with a time consuming guessing game.
Expert:  Chris Parson replied 2 months ago.

Have you contacted your local electrical inspector yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've requested that this question be deleted and a refund processed.