Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I want to hang a new ceiling mounted light. The light will

Customer Question

Hi, I want to hang a new ceiling mounted light. The light will be flush with the ceiling, but says that it requires 90 deg supply rated wiring. My home has black cloth braided wiring in the attic. No labeling whatsoever. No degree rating. No ground wire, just black and white wires. The new light has black, white, and ground. Any advice? Can I install new light?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Not sure. House is 1915. The wiring looks newer than that I would suppose. An electrician has not come to my house, no.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There are three black cloth braided wires entering the light box from my view in the attic. That might be because the ceiling is wired in parallel, but maybe I'm wrong. Insight here would be helpful as well.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are the house wires in a conduit or cable? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?