Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Replacing pigtail between the roof box and my evaporative

Customer Question

Replacing pigtail between the roof box and my evaporative cooler with a 10ga 3 wire plus ground. 2 speed motor and a water pump. Problem is that it requires the ground wire to be hot to the pump. Since it's not insulated, am I asking for problems? 4 wires coming out of roof. 2 blacks for high low on motor, a white common, and a blue for power to the pump. The ground wire would be attached to this blue wire.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Using the ground as a current carrying conductor is a code violation and a hazard. You need to employ a wiring method to have all current carrying wires insulated and a separate ground. They do make a 10/4 with ground cable or a flex conduit with 5 conductors are the other options.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help. Was able to thread an additional wire though the conduit and solved the problem.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Very good. You're welcome.