Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I want to change my living room lighting from two ceiling

Customer Question

Hi, I want to change my living room lighting from two ceiling roses with lamp holders to LED recessed down lighting. This seems easy enough however, I want to wire the switches so that I will be able to either A; Tun on all of the lights or B: Turn on one row of lights. Is this easy to achive? Is it simple as wiring two lighting circuits and then using the switches to power all or some?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The consumer unit is 2 years old, existing wiring was changed 8 years ago (currently is grey 1.5mm twin & earth, same as i'm using now). I have previously consulted when changing upstairs to the same led down lights. The only difference here is I don't want a simple "all on" & "all off".
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: perhaps, 14 led down lights in total, spread over two existing circuits (dining & living room used to be separate but now one room.. I have chosen the locations for all of the leds and then decided that i'd like to be able to light the back row on its own, in addition to lighting the entire room.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) In order to control an individual row of lights, your application will require a separate ON/OFF or dimmer switch for each light row.

2) Since 2 separate circuits. the LED's and the wall switches will need to be segregated from each of the circuits.

3) If installing dimmer switches, the dimmer switches must be compatible with the LED bulbs. If dimming the LED's, the LED bulbs must also be rated as the dimmable type.

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)