Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have "added" a 900w microwave to one side of an existing

Customer Question

Sir,i have "added" a 900w microwave to one side of an existing old Murray 15-15 single pole dual function circuit breaker and its "tripping" it .How can i avoid this ?,i was told that "bumping it to a 20-20 would help ?.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the 15 amp circuit contain any other plugged-in loads that are working simultaneously while the microwave is ON?

2) Does the microwave work correctly on other branch circuits?

3) Increasing the beaker size to a 20 amp requires 12 AWG copper conductors for the branch circuit.

If the breaker is 15 amp, most likely the conductors are 14 AWG copper. Increasing from 15 to 20 amps on conductors that are 14 AWG copper is a code violation and can cause a fire.

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The micro is 900w,but i would like to run additional appliances on the same circuit as well..,probably an additional 3600w.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Won't work and will over load the circuit.

A 15 amp circuit breaker with cord & plugged equipment cannot exceed 1440 watts.

A 20 amp circuit breaker with cord & plugged equipment cannot exceed 1920 watts.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)