Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a high pitched noise coming from the bathroom. I live

Customer Question

I have a high pitched noise coming from the bathroom. I live in a condo. It sounds like its coming from inside the wall or by my or in my washing machine and dryer combo, or toilet? Its random, usually happened once an hour at night. Now happenening every hour during the day and night. 3-5 times an hour and I can't sleep. Sounds like a smoke detector alarm dying but my smoke detectors are fine. help can't sleep!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a week since i moved in there is an attic above me that the condo people are supposed to check
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: do you know what the beeping noise could be?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is the noise happening now or only at night? If you turn the water shut off to the toilet off does the noise stop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i'm in a condo and can't shut the water off. It was happening only at night, but now it happens during the day and its happening alot

There is not a shut off behind the toilet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you charged me 11 dollar for a question you didn't bother to answer. I'm not paying 24 dollars for this too.

I am sure all of that is described in the customer agreement but I really have nothing to do with that. I only get paid when you positively rate an answer that I provide. I have not answered it yet. Do you have a shut off behind the toilet for the toilet water supply?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i haven't touched it because the toilet is not securrly bolted to the floor aparently so i'm not going to mess with it. I'm on the third floor.

I do not quite understand what that would have to do with turning the water off to the toilet. Is there any reason that you could not turn the water off to the toilet? What type of toilet is it? What model toilet is it? Is it a rear outlet toilet?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The problem is most likely either electrical or water related.

2) I recommend to 1st start by turning OFF the branch circuit breaker for the bathroom, followed by the laundry breaker and then followed by turning OFF the circuit breaker for the smoke alarm (assuming the smokes are AC powered). The smoke alarms may also contain a DC battery which can cause a chirping noise if the battery is low. Look at the manufacture date on the back label of each smoke. Many smokes will automatically go into a chirp mode when the smoke is nearing end of life.

3) If the problem is not electrical related, then I suggest to turn OFF the toilet water supply valve, turn OFF the washing machine water supply valves. Also turn OFF the laundry sink and bathroom sink water supply valves. Once the sink valves are OFF, then open each faucet to bleed the air in the pipes. Then turn the supply valves back to the ON position one at a time. Flush the toilets to confirm if the flush valve is working OK.

4) You should be able to narrow down the origin of the problem. Let me know what you find and if the noise stops..........Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)