Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

New GFI breaker on hot tub. Breaker trips after several

Customer Question

new GFI breaker on hot tub. Breaker trips after several hours or sometimes 24 hrs. Prior to not having this gfi close to the tub we had one in the main box and it never shot off. I had the pump tested it is ok. no water leaks visible in heater etc..
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: it has been going on ever since I had breaker installed about two weeks ago. I have been testing parts and trying to trouble shoot.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on what it is I have already taken pump out and had tested and replaced m-drive and several wires.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, one question I had. Does the circuit board have a load max or breaking point
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest disconnecting the wires at the tub and capping them, turn the breaker on to see if the circuit holds. This will verify the line to the tub. Next, reconnect all wires except the ground to verify a short to ground at the tub. Let me know how it went.