Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have 3 wires coming out of my ceiling box. 2 (one may have

Customer Question

I have 3 wires coming out of my ceiling box. 2 white (one may have been grey) that are twisted together and one green wire. my fan has a green (ground wire) and one white and one black wire. Do we think the grey wire is the black wire? how do I check?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 10 minutes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What was originally installed at the ceiling box? A light. If so, did it work prior to disconnecting it? If a previous light fixture was installed, how was it spliced? What wire colors were used?

2) The ceiling box must contain a hot wire. White or gray wires are not allowed to be used as an always hot conductor (unless feeding a wall switch) or as a switched loop conductor. White or grey wires are used as the neutral conductors. Green wires are ground wires.

3) The grey wire is most likely a faded black hot wire. Either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter can be used to confirm the hot and neutral wires at the ceiling box.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)