Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Can i install a gfci breaker box when i have only three

Customer Question

can i install a gfci breaker box when i have only three wires coming from the main panel two hots and a ground?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no netural wire from main panel to hot tub
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, it is called a double pole GFCI disconnect circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do i wire the gfci woth no netural from main panel
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Install a double pole GFCI breaker at the main panel or at a sub-panel. A GFCI double pole breaker requires a neutral bus bar connection for the white neutral pigtail. Otherwise, the GFCI breaker will not work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok im install the sub panel with the gfci breaker but were to i get the netural wire from ,can not be ran from main panel?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) If the hot tub is exterior, then the disco box feeder circuit requires 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. Won't work without a neutral wire from the feeder circuit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
exterior tub so im screwed then?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can i make the ground wire from the feeder circuit the neturalwire?
And put a ground wire on the disco box?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) If the feeder conductors from the main panel to the exterior disco panel were installed using a raceway (conduit), it may be possible to add the required neutral conductor.

2) No, a bare copper ground wire is only allowed to act as an equipment ground and never allowed to act as a neutral. Code violation:)

Refer to the diagram shown below for a hot tub disco switch connection:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe its a just a wire not bare
Can it be done that way then?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Another option, is to install a double pole exterior rated NEMA 3R weatherproof disconnect switch for the outside and install a double pole GFCI breaker in the house panel.

2) The 3rd wire can only be used as a neutral if it is white, grey or black (re-identified as a white neutral). However, the hot tub will not contain an equipment ground. Hot tub disco's require a 4 wire circuit or at a minimum, a 2 wire circuit for the 240 volt connection and the 3rd wire to be used as an equipment ground if a double pole disco switch is used.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But i will still not have a neutral wire at the dsco box?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thats a throw swicth?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thats what they use for air conditioners
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) If the feeder circuit was installed in metal conduit, then the metal conduit will act as the equipment ground. If the feeder was installed in PVC gray electrical conmduit, then a separate equipment ground wire is required.

2) Hot tubs are either a combo of 120/240 or 240 volts only. Your model only requires 240 volts. Therefore, a neutral is not required for the tub connection. Look at the diagram I sent you. However, a double pole GFCI breaker requires a neutral connection for the white curly pigtail to a neutral bus bar. Your feeder circuit does not contain a neutral, therefore, you either need to install a neutral for the feeder or install a new 4 wire circuit or install a doublee pole disconnect switch at the exterior. No other choices on the matter in order to be code compliant.

3) Yes, it is called a NEMA rated 3R double pole disco switch. The disco switch must be rated for the same amps as the double pole breaker.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

2) Hot tubs are either a combo of 120/240 or 240 volts only. Your model only requires 240 volts. Therefore, a neutral is not required for the tub connection. Look at the diagram I sent you. However, a double pole GFCI breaker requires a neutral connection for the white curly pigtail to a neutral bus bar. Your feeder circuit does not contain a neutral, therefore, you either need to install a neutral for the feeder or install a new 4 wire circuit or install a double pole disconnect switch at the exterior. No other choices on the matter in order to be code compliant.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i install the gfci breaker in the main box and a quick disconnect at the outside then im gf i protected?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) The hot tub must have a means of disconnect nearby. Either install a:

A) GFCI disco switch installed at the exterior using a 4 wire feeder circuit

or

B) A GFCI breaker installed in the main or sub-panel and and exterior disco switch. One of these is required to meet code.

2) Yes that is correct. If installing a double pole GFCI breaker at the main panel and an exterior rated NEMA 3R double pole disco switch, the hot tub will still be GFCI protected from the breaker installed at the panel. Totally code compliant and GFCI protected:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)