Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I'm purchasing a kitchenaid slide in induction range, and

Customer Question

Hi, I'm purchasing a kitchenaid slide in induction range, and I'm not sure what to believe about wiring it. It comes with a four prong pigtail, and the installer and salesman from the store have told me I can rewire it to be a three prong pigtail and sabe a ton of money rewiring the home to have a four prong plug in the kitchen. The installation manual says nothing about rewiring, my electrician doesn't care what direction I go, but cautioned that if the installation instructions don't explicitly state that it can be rewired, it isn't a good idea. Any thoughts?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is there an existing circuit in place for the range? If so, how many wires in the circuit and wire colors and the amperage of the existing circuit breaker or will the circuit be a brand new installation?

2) What are the 4 wire colors from the range pigtail?

3) How many watts is the range rated for and the voltages? Look at the nameplate rating on the range.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) What year was the home built? Prior to 1996 or newer?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

I see that you have reviewed my questions but I have not heard back from you. Therefore, I have opted out of the question and will place it back to the open board.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If you have an existing circuit and receptacle, by code exception you may wire the unit with a 3 wire cord set.