Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Pardon my terminology. How do you add a double pole switch

Customer Question

Pardon my terminology.
How do you add a double pole switch to a half hot. I need to operate half of the recessed lighting on the lower switch and the other half of the recessed lighting on the other switch. Meanwhile keeping all of the rest of the outlets in the run constant as they were.
At the moment I have everything accomplished except the can lights operating with the switch for the half hot.
Thank you,
Earl
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I assume you have a switch over switch device. If so, you'll see the on one side there are black screws with a bridge between them. That is where you terminate the Line wire feeding the switch. On the other side you'll have 2 gold screws which are independent and you connect the wires to the lights.