Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I removed some old track lighting and want to replace it

Customer Question

I removed some old track lighting and want to replace it with a remodeling can. The old travk lighting was connected to a three way switch.. 2 switched in different places control the light. However upon examining the wiring i find there are 2 sets of wiring... each in their own sleeve. Each set has 1 black, 1 white, 1 red and 1 copper. How do i wire it in. We tried white with white, black with black, ground with ground and red with red. Pops the circuit.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 3 months ago.

wow, this is a messy one.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** id love to try to help.

do you have a multi meter available?

and did you note what color wire the track was spliced to before you removed it?

im betting one of the neutrals was picked up as either a switch leg or a feeder. we need to test a few things, this will require a multimeter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately our painter took down the old lighting over a year ago so i did not make note of anything. I do have a multimeter.

awesome! First off, we are going to need to remove the face plates of both switches that control the fixture.

Be careful, if you are not comfortable doing this "live", then please turn off the breaker to the circuit we are working with.

after we examine both three way switches and verify where the feed, switch legs, and fixture feed are, we should have a good idea of what to do in the fixture box.

let me know when you are ready to start the tests. ;)