Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Two LTB30's now just click instead of turning fans on

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are the switches new or old and failing to operate?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are Levitons installed in 2010. The click seems to be an electrical impulse not being "caught" by the time diode or whatever it is. I can't imagine that they would need to be replaced, but rather reset in some way.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have never used this system before. It seems I left before getting your replies. I am live here now.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

That switch isn't programmable. If they were working for 6 yrs and now have failed it is a replacement issue. Try disconnecting the yellow/red wire to separate the master and slave to determine which went bad.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is a replacement issue, what is the sense of trouble shooting the cause, unless you are telling me that may solve the situation. One switch began "throbbing" in 2010. The second just yesterday and it can be "tricked" into operating correctly just by waiting a few minutes and repressing the off or one of the on buttons.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

When you disconnect the yellow/red wire it disconnects the slave device. If the master switch now works, replace the slave. If it doesn't replace the master.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will pull one out of its place and look. Back in a few minutes
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Very good.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, so the unit is live so I did not disconnect any wires. There are five wires as you must already know. Normal black / white, the yellow red you told me to look for a green and a red. I understand master / slave relations work but don't understand how they apply here. Are the slaves and masters both inside the wall unit?I bought a Cooper replacement and hadn't installed it yet as the device it powered wasn't as essential as the fan.Are the masters and slaves two separate units?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

The yellow/red wire is the interconnect between the two devices. You need to follow my instructions to get to a completion.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to confirm, the switch unit is the master, the device is the slave. So if the switch unit just clicks and does not power the device, it is faulty.If so, then my take away is that I can hope the Cooper unit will last longer then the first Leviton did with just 3 months service?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Your original statement was that you had two LBT30's. My instructions are based on that. Having worked for several years and not having any programing, I directed you in a way to determine which one failed. You now said that the failure was after 3 months. You are confusing the issue.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

The way this is going makes me elect to opt out and let you work with another expert.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK