ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a large piece of property the largest wire size the

Customer Question

I have a large piece of property the largest wire size the County will approve is 3/0 cooper. I need to go 1200 feet to supply a 200 amp service to a garage. I assume that parallels or transformers are my only options? Will step up and step down transformers be reasonable. I know that it is going to be an expense prospect either way. Getting the County to change their position is not an option. Any other suggestions?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Please give me just a little while to look at options, do some calculations, and get back with you.

Is aluminium an option?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aluminium is an option:Never used this service do didn't know where to put the detail. It took 5 weeks and $3000 to get a 200 Amp meter approved. It has 3/0 Copper as the service line and 3/0 out to a disconnect, that will handle double 3/0 lugs if I order them. I applied for a 400 amp residential service that was serviced by 500 Kcmil, but they made me rip it out of the ground after the utility company had already passed it.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

OK, thank you.

This stringent requirement is a new one on me...never heard of anything like this.

I am working on it...will return

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

OK, thank you.

As an example, this would require 16 ea runs of 3/0 Triplex Aluminum or 11 ea runs of 3/0 Triplex Copper.

Obviously, your best solution would be to run utility primary voltage/high voltage overhead or underground, then set a transformer rated at utility high voltage (probably 7200 or 14,400 volts by 120/240)

I have not had any success finding estimates for overhead or underground primary installation. I will continue my search and let you know when I find the information.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

A couple of options:

1l look for an electrical contractor that installs overhead/underground systems

2l ask the local utility company if they perform this type of work for individuals or if they have a subcontractor that does.

I haven't been able to find any reliable cost information for this type work.

I will be glad to pursue this further if you need more information, just let me know.

Thank you