Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My power company said I had a bad Neutral. I ran a temporary

Customer Question

My power company said I had a bad Neutral. I ran a temporary and it changed nothing. When I try and use my well, 1 hot leg spikes and 1 drops
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's it
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Did the electrical utility pull the exterior meter and check for proper torquing on the meter socket neutral lugs?

2) Has anybody also checked and confirmed for proper torquing of the neutral wire at the main electrical panel neutral bus bar.

3) I assume that the electrical utility confirmed that the service entrance neutral from the utility transformer to the meter was tested and confirmed as OK, is that correct?

4) Well motors are a 240 volt circuit and don't require a neutral wire. Sounds like the problem is a hot wire issue rather than a neutral issue?

5) Any dimming of lights or flickering of lights in the home?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

I see that you reviewed my questions and comments, but I have not heard back from you. Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? With a few tests we can pin point the problem.