Chris Parson
Chris Parson,
Experience:  Electrician at L.E. Myers

How can I get a RTSY transfer switch to operate on just a

Customer Question

How can I get a RTSY transfer switch to operate on just a regular 2-wire input from a non-generac generator?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Chris Parson replied 1 month ago.

Give more details please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The transfer switch is installed ina residence that is tied into a 600kw generator in an adjoining business building. The only communication from the generator is a two wire for either dry contacts or sending 240v on emergency power. How does that work witha transfer switch that requires multiple wires from the generator to make it transfer?

Usually they work in tandem with the generator to monitor the utility power. When utility power is interrupted, the transfer switch automatically transfers power from the utility to the generator. When utility power returns, the transfer switch will return the electrical load from the generator back to utility. As far as wiring should go there should be general instructions, such as color coding or terminating instructions.

Try Finding a converter that fits the transfer switch. It may downsize this into a two wire connection. This should run from a box by itself to the generator. When the power goes out it should be either manual or automatic transfer, to whatever they want.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah good idea. Thanks
I'll look into that

No Problem, it is worth a try. If it does not work then try requesting me or messaging me for my assistance. I would be more than glad to help you!