Webb-Guy, Electrician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I have a ceiling fan that has two pull cords. One for the

Customer Question

I have a ceiling fan that has two pull cords. One for the lights the other for the fan. The fan switch broke. The pull cord worked like this : when the fan was off you pulled the cord once and the fan rotated one way, you pulled it again and it went off,pulled it again and it rotated the other way,pulled it again and it was off.
The writing on the broken switch was; 3A-250ac,6A-125Vac I think as it was very hard to read.
I went to two different stores and purchased what i thought would work. They did not. When the fan was off you pulled the cord and it rotated in one direction,pulled it again and it reversed rotation,pulled it again and it stopped.
Both of these said 3 way. Both had 3 wires.
Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowe's typically only sell a very generic pull chain switch and these usually will not work on many ceiling fan models.

2) I recommend that you contact in the link shown below and provide them with your fan manufacturer name and the fan model. This is the best available source for ceiling fan replacement parts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That answer was a waste of time.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

OK, good luck then locating a replacement pull chain.

I've opted out of the question.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** expert here. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ceiling fan.

Ok so some brands of ceiling fans have to be replaced with the actual parts. I was able to find this replacement cord online for you if you are interested in trying to hook another one up.\

Without personally looking at the fan its hard to know exactly what may have went wrong but my suggestion is trying this cord and see if that solves the problem.

If you find this advice helpful please do rate with 5 stars at the top if you have any follow up questions please feel free to follow up with me here on this thread.