Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I just bought a GE Smart Dimmer to install with my new LED

Customer Question

I just bought a GE Smart Dimmer to install with my new LED ceiling lights. The previous switch was a dimmer, as well, but I wanted to upgrade to the Bluetooth functionality. Anyway, I have two wires, gray and black, coming out of the junction box. Assuming they were "line" and "load", I wired the switch accordingly. Nothing happened. I then moved the black wire to the "common" post and it worked, but backwards (the on and off positions of the switch were reversed). I reversed the wires and the switch is still backwards. The GE switch has five posts- line, load, neutral, ground, and "traveller" (proprietary for hooking up multiple bluetooth switches). Once again, I tried the wires as "line" and "load" as shown in the wiring diagram and nothing happened. I switched them, and still nothing. Finally, I connected the gray as "neutral" and black as "line" and the little blue power light on the switch illuminated, and my lights came on dimly with no control available through the switch whatsoever. What in hell is going on here?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Having only the 2 wires Line and Load, you need a Neutral for operation. If there isn't one in the switch box you won't be able to use that switch