Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Have had prewire inspection and ok'd .......attached 30 amp

Customer Question

have had prewire inspection and ok'd .......attached 30 amp breaker to 10/3 cable......was momentarily distracted and forgot to shut off the main panel power ...and just installed the breaker ....got a big arc and noise .....shut off power and removed quickly ...then re installed breaker but it arced again .....Have I ruined the breaker or is there something else wrong .....this is under home owners permit - not my first time - but first time I've ever had something like this happen ......
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Installing a breaker with the breaker in the on position will produce an arc when it comes in contact with the buss. Another possibility is a buss failure insulation causing the bus's to bend back and touch the enclosure. If that happened there would be an arc flash mark on the box. A picture of the open panel at the breaker location would aid in making a comment.