Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I had a transfer switch installed a few years ago and have

Customer Question

I had a transfer switch installed a few years ago and have never used it. The generator I have is a job-site generator, so it has the neutral bended to the frame and all receptacles are GFCI protected. I'm considering taking it in to have it converted to a floating neutral, as it's only purpose would be for power outages. would you recommend doing this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: it's something new, but not urgent.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can get the proper wiring schematic/diagram for my specific generator.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: No. but I'm considering contacting the local generator shop about it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. Just wondering if it's wise to convert to a floating neutral or buy one that's already floating.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Portable job site generators come in 2 different flavors... ie........either a floating neutral or a frame bonded neutral.

2) Since the generator has a GFCI and it is a frame bonded neutral, the neutral bond must be removed at the gen set to prevent the GFCI from tripping. Thus the generator is acting like a downstream sub-panel when connected to the main panel via the XFER switch. Neutral and ground only meet at the main service panel and never at a downstream sub-panel or at a downstream generator. Thus the reason that the neutral bond needs to be removed due to the GFCI and connecting to the XFER switch.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)