Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I am replacing a Nutone bathroom fan that had both a room

Customer Question

I am replacing a Nutone bathroom fan that had both a room light and night light. I bought the exact same model but can't get the night light or room light to work - only the fan works. I'm not sure I've connected it right. There are 3 wires coming from the light ballast - white, yellow and red. I connected the white wire to the white from the house wiring and wire nutted the yellow and red to the black wire. Any ideas?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Brand new. No consultation with anyone.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am now.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please give me the model number of the fan.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

The black wire is the fan, red is the light and yellow is the night light. The white wires are the neutrals. To have independent operation a switched wire for the 3 fan leads are required. If that is what you have, check your connections. The fan leads are usually not stripped long enough for a good connection. Strip them longer and they should lead the solid wire into the wirenut.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have 5 wires on the house side. A black and white from one bundle and a black, white, and bare wire from another bundle.
I assume that one of the white wires must be one of the three switched hot wires from the rocker switch on the wall for one of the lights??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now, the fan works so I must have that wiring OK which connected a black to black and white to white from the house to the fixture. I connected the green fixture ground wire to the house bare wire.The remaining wires on the fixture side were the red (room light), yellow (night light), and white for the fixture. The house wiring only has a black and white remaining. I connected the red and yellow to the black house wire with a wire nut and connected the white house wire to the white fixture wire. Unless as you suggested that I need to strip the wire more, I'm lost.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

If you have 2 sets of black and white House wires and 3 switches, one of the white wires is being used as a switched hot. It should have been marked with black tape or marker. If the fan works the white wire connected is the neutral that is common to all functions. The remaining black and white should connect individually to the red and yellow wires.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I will take a look at any markings and re-wire accordingly. Thanks!!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That worked! Thanks!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Very good.