Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I purchased a Leviton 20A 120/227V 15/20A light switch to

Customer Question

I purchased a Leviton 20A 120/227V 15/20A light switch to replace a pool light switch that is connected as a 3 way. The wires are Red, Black and white. I don't see an obvious ground wire. I understand the Black and the white but, I don't think the red is ground. Just wanted some advice.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

You have a single pole switch and not a 3 way. Return it. When you get a new one the placement of the wires has to be the same for a 3 way operation. The wire on the black screw is the common and needs to be the same on the new switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All Three screws are brass with no color distinction. i will look for the 3 way with different color screws. Do you recommend a particular brand other than Leviton?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

LeBron is fine. Look at the back of the old switch for markings indicating common. That will be the wire on the black screw.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
White is on the Black screw on the old switch Would that make the red wire ground?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

No, you may have an ungrounded switch. The other insulated wires connect to the gold screws and the ground to a green screw on the new switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Anytime, You're welcome.