Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Why does partial electric go out in my house usually in the

Customer Question

why does partial electric go out in my house usually in the middle of the night? I go down to check if a breaker popped but none did, so i changed the breaker and I got power back. then it happens again so I tap on the breaker with the back of a screwdriver and it comes back on. then today it went out again I followed the steps that i did before and nothing so I used a multi meter to check all the amps on the breakers every other breaker I checked gave me 120 amp but the others very little amp if any at all. when I finally gave up I heard a light buzzing sound and my electric came back. can anyone give me an idea of what can be happening? I also checked my main breaker and it gave me 120amps. any Idea?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) More than likely, there is either a loose hot phase connection at the meter socket or at the main breaker lugs. The problem could also be with the utility transformer. Your service entrance wires are comprised of 2 hot phases.

2) If a loose hot phase wire termination, the service wires will expand when current is flowing and contract when minimal or no current flow. At night time, the panel typically has a minimal amount of current flow as this is expected due to loads not being utilized as much as compared to day time use. Therefore, the service entrance wires are contracting due to a loose connection and the home now experiences partial power issues.

3) I recommend that you contact your local electrical utility provide and have them confirm things on their end. If no trouble found from the utility, then a licensed electrician should check things out at the panel and at the main panel breaker.

4) If the problem is only limited to 1 single pole circuit breaker, then the issue is with that circuit and not with the utility or service entrance wires.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i did that already everything is fine on their end i am partially disabled and cant afford an electrician at this time that is why im doing it my self . heck i cant even afford the $9 i just spent on you and im really not satisfied with your answer. can I have a refund please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.