Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Just moved our dryer has 4 prong switched to 3 prong cord

Customer Question

Just moved our dryer has 4 prong switched to 3 prong cord went by the directions plugged it in it made a sound and will not start like it has no power. I did check the breaker cut it off and then back on still not working
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The 3 wire cord needs to be connected as follows

1. 2 outside wires are the hots and connect to the outside terminations on the block.
  2. The middle wire is the neutral/ground and connects to the center termination.
  3. When changing from a 4 wire to a 3 wire, you need the run a ground to the center termination on the dryer. There may be a metal strip present, use it. If not a #10 wire to the frame is required.
  4. If as suggested, with a 2 wire voltage tester test the hots to each other for 240V and each hot to the neutral for 120V.