Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have 2x 110v flouresecent lights, but need to wire into

Customer Question

hi, i have 2x 110v flouresecent lights, but need to wire into 240v home circuit , with a switch next to a plug socket. would this work?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: couple of days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, with a electritian, but he dosent have much experince and suggested taking the power for the lights from the upstairs ceiling light. these are going in a loft, for a bit of a man cave haha
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: He has taken power from the upstiairs light fitting, and put a block of 4 by the entrance, ther is a socket on one block, an on/off switch for socket, a master switch and fuse, and a switch for a fan to help move air and cool in summer/hot weather, as funds are resticted for the time being and cannot afford to inulate, the fan is also not ordered yet. We wanted the lights to be on when the plug socket is on. When we turned it on, The flourecent 110v lights came on for about half a seccond, then tripped the upstairs light circuit. he has now taken the flourecent lights off the switches, so we can plug a lamp into the plug socket whist laying more sturdy floorboards
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is also a plug socket at the bottom of the loft already installed. i dont know, bout would it be better/possible to take the power from there? Then hide the wiring with trunking, but he reckons light fitting is better. be better for taking power as there is no wire showing in upstairs.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please tell me where you are located and if the fixtures are 120V, why not wire them for that voltage

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm located in Sussex. Where would be best to get power supply from?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Your voltage is 220V and to use those fixtures a ballast change is required. They will be available at any electrical supply store.