Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

A Hampton ceiling fan about 12 years old chrome with 2 small

Customer Question

a Hampton ceiling fan about 12 years old chrome with 2 small 60 watt bulbs my wife said lights all went off together at once I tried new bulbs and new batt in remote fan is stuck on one speed only but no lights so I know there is power to fan and I cant seem to get cover plate which is up against ceiling loose no screws anywhere what can I do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple of days it worked ok it seems like a expensive fan and I would like to keep it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: fan has light brown blades 4 andchrome housing and one solid glass bottom covering the 3 lights
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) All ceiling fans will contain screws mounted on the exterior circumference of the ceiling canopy cover. Often, there is usually 2 screws to drop the canopy cover plate. The canopy cover may contain a plastic trim ring that is hiding the screws.

2) Very possible that the remote receiver is defective. Unfortunately faulty receivers are a common problem on Hampton Bay ceiling fans.

Assuming that the remote receiver is located under the ceiling canopy cover and you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter, you can confirm the remote receiver output at the canopy cover. This will confirm if the remote receiver needs to be replaced or not.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Also, make sure the 4 DIP switch settings match the remote receiver and the handheld transmitter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got the lights to work but the fan only works on low what is the phone number to order a new sensor from Hampton bay I believe 1 of thedip switches was moved in the remote control when changing batts
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got the lights to work 1 of thedip switches was moved in the remote control they match now but fan does not reverse and is stuck on low what is the phone number for Hampton bay to order a new sensor
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Shown in the link below is the customer service number for Hampton Bay:

http://www.homedepot.com/c/SPC_BRD_HamptonBay_Help

2) Shown in the pdf file below is the 16 possible DIP switch settings. The switch settings need to match identically in the receiver and in the transmitter.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If the receiver is located inside the ceiling fan canopy cover, I recommend to install a replacement receiver and transmitter and not purchase a Hampton Bay type. Hampton bay fan receivers are among the cheapest and poorest quality manufactured in the marketplace.

See link shown below for a replacement receiver:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Hand-Held-Remote-Control-Transmitter-and-Receiver-RCK01/202851042

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)