Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

A surveyor had said that the electrical system in the

Customer Question

A surveyor had said that the electrical system in the property that I am purchasing is below current standards e.g. The electrical system is not covered by a current inspection and testing certificate. Does this mean that the property needs rewiring?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A surveyor is not a licensed electrician. Therefore, they don't have the proper background, training and/or education on an electrical distribution system. Only a licensed electrician who has experience and the proper credentials is qualified to assess the property electrical system.

You need to hire a licensed electrician that is familiar with any local electrical codes that may be enforced.

2) Have the licensed electrician perform a visual inspection inside side the exterior meter socket and inside the main electrical panel. The electrician will be looking for things such as proper service entrance wire sizes, proper fuse or circuit breaker amperage ratings, proper grounding, proper branch circuit wire sizes and breaker sizes. The electrician can also perform a load calculation on the property to confirm if the service size meets code.

In addition, the electrician will also perform a random visual inspection on a few wall switches and wall sockets to make sure they are properly grounded.

3) At the end of the electrical inspection, only the electrician can advise you if the property meets existing local electrical codes or if any re-wiring needs to take place.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)