I just moved into a rental with brand new seemingly not professionally installed wiring
. Beyond a few items of concern, my main question is about the wiring to the washer/dryer. After being ran for about 25min for the very first time the washing machine displayed an error that the repairperson said indicated a faulty or possibly burned out motor
. The washing machine plugs into the dryer in a stacked setup. The dryer is wired to a 4 prong outlet
on a 30amp breaker that has only the dryer receptacle & a single 1 bulb light on it (as far as I can tell). The wire to the metal box is 12 gauge armored flexible conduit
with no ground wire (just black/red hots and a white neutral). The ground wire from the receptaple is a pigtail screwed into the metal box. I tested the receptacle with a multimeter the wires are on the correct places. The hot to hot reads 208v. The hots to neutral each read 122v. The neutral to ground reads .004v. I've noticed other outlets/non transformer plugs seeming warm to the touch and I noticed one that looks to have been burned.
1. Is it likely that the wiring caused the damage to washing machine motor? Or is it just a fluke or manufacturer defect? In other words will the new one meet the same fate?
2. If the wiring is the issue how do I determine the cause? Is the cause undersized wire? If its undersized why didnt the breaker trip? Is something else wrong besides no ground, 12g wire?
3. Would installing GF protection help this issue?