ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Same overspeed issue on a generac 20kw. doing a little

Customer Question

same overspeed issue on a generac 20kw . doing a little investigation before digging in.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: HAd a power outage about 4 days ago. The gen ran for about 9 hours but on subsequent tests gives the overspeed error. Also the N2 fuse had blown and the gen could not see utility power
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: I have had this unit for about 5 years but did not install it until this summer. I has about 10 actual hours on it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends I guess. I am electrically inclined but its been hard to find time.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not off hand but as we dig into it I am sure we will discover more.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Hi Mike welcome to justanswer.com

Troubleshooting this issue is very delicate and time-consuming. Unfortunately, due to the time element, this would call for a quote for premium service. I would be glad to send you a quote separately if you are interested in pursuing this yourself.

Otherwise I highly recommend that you disconnect the electrical connection and the gas connection, load the unit on a trailer and take it to a reputable electric motor shop in your area. This would save you a bundle on labor.

Let me know if you want me to send the separate quote.

Thank you.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

We would not know for sure without a thorough investigation but this is likely to be a problem with the internal wiring on the generator stator/rotor or internal connections that could require the complete unit to be dismantled

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Mike, just checking in to make sure you got my replies and to see if I can help further. Just let me know. Thank you