Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Adding on to my home near Minneapolis, MN. The addition has

Customer Question

Adding on to my home near Minneapolis, MN. The addition has caused me to put in a new a/c system....so my new compressor has moved about 16'. I'm wondering if I can put a junction box inside my home in the laundry room (unfinished) where the old a/c line routes, and run this to the outside of my house to the a/c disconnect box. Is there a special type of junction block that would be needed, or can I just twist tie the wires together inside that box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can just use a regular box and cover (a 4" square box will work) with the appropriate connectors out of the box. This would be inside out of the weather. You'd have to use a water tight box and connectors if the box is outdoors.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

ok - it is inside. I'll use the wire nuts for that size of wire. Also, I'm putting in a bunch of outlets and switches in the new addition and I'll need to follow the NEC code. What are the requirements for outlet box placement...every xx feet, how far off floor, etc. Also what is same for switches? On exterior walls (including basement walls with concrete foundation behind them), do I need to do anything special for vapor, etc.

This is a different question topic please post a new question thread for this topic.

.