Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I have Hampton Bay Fan (it operates from a wall mounted

Customer Question

I have Hampton Bay Fan (it operates from a wall mounted remote) that is having the following issues:
1. The lights and fan turned off on their own and a few hours later (in the middle of the night they came back on).
2. We turned off the lights and the fan went off.
3. Last night the light flashed on and off and then there was an electrical smell.
I replaced the battery in the remote. I have now disconnected the power to the fan, fearing an electrical fire.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

It really sounds to me like the internal switch that is controlled by the remote is short circuiting. I do NOT recommend you try repairing this yourself. Either replace the entire unit or have an electrician help you diagnose the wiring. The smell has me concerned

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the remote receiver located under the ceiling fan canopy cover or inside the fan motor area?

2) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available?

3) Does the fan have pull chains?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out of the question since I have not heard back from you.