Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Have a 12-3 feeder providing for 2 (out of phase) 20 amp

Customer Question

Have a 12-3 feeder providing for 2 (out of phase) 20 amp circuits in a residence. Any changes in circuit require AFCI breakers. City is strict on that one. Will AFCI breakers work on both circuits? Will the shared neutral cause problems with their operation? Or do they need to be hooked up on 2 separate 12-2 feeders all the way to the panel?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1st time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: In planning stage now. So I'm kinda stuck with whats already there. Will pull permits and see how complex the situation gets. Have electronics background (avionics tech) but know what I don't know. The house GFCI circuits were also wired in this fashion, but need additional troubleshooting. Hence, not wanting to change circuits that I can't get around the 12-3 feeders
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: a technical question about AFCI and GFCI circuits using 12-3 feeders with shared neutral. I need to know if I can even make changes without needing to pull new wire from the mains
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You can install a 2 pole AFCI breaker on the existing circuits to comply.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Did you get the answer?