Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Trying to wire up three light switches (4-way). The new

Customer Question

Trying to wire up three light switches (4-way). The new switches are the GE Z-Wave and I'm running into issues getting them to work.
JA: What's the brand and model number of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: The Brand is GE Z-Wave. For the Primary the model is 12727 and the add-on switches are model 12728.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Now power when I hit the switch after I wired them up.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: One thing I noticed from the instructional video was that only one of the black wires should have power running to them. However, all three of my switches show power on the "Load" wire.
JA: Anything else you want the electrician to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At the back of the 12727 Smart Switch (Primary Switch) I plugged the two red wires into the two ports marked
"Traveler".
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you.

1) main switch has to be where the wires to the light originate. The black connected to the load termination.

2) the hot wire only connected to the main switch on the Line termination.

3) the white wire connected to all switches and the white to the light.

4) the red wire connects to all switched on the traveler termination.

5) the ground connects to all switches.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's how I wired them, but no lights.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all three connections have tested with the "Load" (or Black wire) testing 120.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Give me the count and the colors of the wires in each box.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Main (primary box)..... Two red, Two Black & Ground. On this box, only the one black has voltage.
Second switch..... Two Black, one Red & Ground. On this box, only the one black has voltage.
Third switch..... Two Black, one Red and Ground. On this box, only the one black has voltage.With the Z-Wave setup, the Primary switch is wired: Two reds in the "Traveler", a white jumper connected to the bundle of white wires is connected to "Neutral", Black "hot" wire connected to "Load" and remaining black connected to "Line" (also ground connected to ground).The other two switches are Z-Wave "Add-On" and are wired: Red connected to "Traveler", white jumper connected to bundle of white wires and connected to "Neutral", both black wires connected to each other and not connected to the switch at all....ground connected to ground.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

You didn't mention a white wire in all boxes. Is there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all three boxes have a pigtail off of the "bundle" of white wires in the back. That pigtail is going to the "neutral" on all three switches.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all three boxes have a bundle of white wires in the back. They all all connected together (not the switch). I have a pigtail off of that bundle and that loan white wire goes to the Neutral on each switch.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

OK, if you have all switches wired as I said and the light doesn't work do the following.

1)Test each black wire connection to ground.

2) if all tested hot, test the black to white in each box.

3) verify the hot black is on the Line termination on the main switch only.

4) remove the black line and black load wires and touch them together to see if the light works.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That might have been where I went wrong..... I "think" I had the "hot" wire connected to "Load" and NOT "Line".
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But, that's how the "how to" video said to run them "Hot to Load".
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Testing as directed will show it.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

How are you doing? Did you solve the issue?