Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have put in an island in a kitchen, it is secured to the

Customer Question

I have put in an island in a kitchen, it is secured to the floor and has granite counter tops. Located in upstate New York. It's an empty shell. Can I use 2/12 romex NM? Does the romex need to be in conduit? Does the romex need to be hidden behind something? I am putting in an outlet on each side.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) NM Romex cables need to be protected where necessary either inside conduit or boxed in with furring strips or 2" x 4"s. I would consider a kitchen island with exposed NM Romex as an exposed cable since the island cabinet can be used for storage. The cable needs some form of protection.

2) The island receptacles also need to be GFCI protected.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

If I use steel armored cable would that be ok for inside of the island? otherwise what type of conduit do you suggest for a 12/2 romex inside of the island?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Metal Clad cable (MC) or Greenfield can also be used, but still requires it to be protected from physical damage where necessary.

2) Easiest method is to either box and frame around the NM Romex or MC cable with some furring strips.

3) EMT metal conduit is used on the interior of a home.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)