Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a Ground Fault Interrupter Circuit Breaker (15 amp)

Customer Question

I have a Ground Fault Interrupter Circuit Breaker (15 amp) that controls five outlets in two bathrooms, a powder room, and a vanity. Three of the outlets are not giving sufficient power. I put a nightlight in each of the three outlets and it glows dimly. I replaced all three outlets and everything was working fine for a few days. However, now the three outlets are showing a return of the same problem: they won't work but when I put the nightlight in each of the three outlets, it glows dimly. Do you know what's is wrong? I lived in the house for 15 years and this problem just started over the last few months.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The house was built in the 1970's and I have not consulted an electrician yet
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends of what you think needs to be done?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your description indicates that you have a bad connection on the circuit. The affected outlets more than likely aren't where the problem is. A loose wire at any device ahead on the circuit will produce the voltage drop. I suggest making a circuit map. Panel directories are worthless for the most part. Their information is limited and lacking. Take a sheet of paper per floor, draw the rooms, mark the receptacle and light outlets. "R" & "L", flip breakers and put breaker number next to letter. You'll now see exactly the path of the circuit. By testing you'll see where the problem begins. The failing connection will be in the first problem outlet or a working one ahead of it.