Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I want to install a Leviton IPS02 motion sensor to one of

Customer Question

I want to install a Leviton IPS02 motion sensor to one of two three way switches. There are 2 switches in our laundry room that operate the overhead fluorescent light. Can you show direct me to a video or diagram please. Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. My best suggestion is to install 2 motion detectors and make a modification to the wire connection allow that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would need to know how to make modifications to the wire connection? This is too general to be of much help? I thought you would provide specific instructions?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

The modification to the connections depends on how they are currently wired. There are several ways. You need to tell me the colors of the wires on each switch, the color of the wire on the black screw of each switch and the make up number and colors of the wires at the light. With that info I can direct you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately, I cannot dig into this at that level at this time especially to see the wires at the light. It seems maybe this motion sensor is not a good idea after all. If we stop at this point do I still have to pay the full $16? Never used this service before.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

You have another option. Instead of an infrared detector use an ultrasonic detector. It doesn't depend on motion only. It senses movement by waving in the air. It will work around corners and even if behind a shower curtain. It would be installed in one box and the other switch wouldn't be necessary. I would still need to know the colors on the switches.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK it was hard to tell colors because all the wires seemed to be coated partially with white paint. The best I can tell is for the switch by the door, upper left =black, upper right = red, lower right is black screw =black. The other switch on wall is upper left=red, upper right=black, lower right is black screw = white.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Not having a white wire on the switches indicates the feed is at the switches which means no modifications are required at the light. The wire on the black screw is the feed. In the box there has to be a white wire connected to a white wire or several white wires. Those are the 2 connections to a detector. Now either one of the other wires connected to the switch can be connected to the red wire from the detector. At the other switch, remove it and connect the wire used on the red to the wire connected to the black screw.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did say there was a white wire on one switch at the black screw? Assuming that is OK are we talking about the ultrasonic detector only or would your idea work with the motion sensor also? I find the text explanation confusing, can you lead me to a diagram that illustrates this?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Having one switch with a white wire doesn't confirm unless you have a white wire connected to a black wire in the first box. As I said there are several ways, all acceptable, to wire 3 way switches. Give me the count and color of the wires in the first box. Let me know which one you intend to install the motion detector.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Just remembered that there is a 2 wire motion switch not requiring a neutral and can be installed in both switch boxes. Lutron MOPS2. Still need to know the count and color of all wires in box #1.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mike, this install relates to our vacation home and we are leaving today for home. We will be back over the Labor Day weekend and maybe a bit before. When I get home, I will go to hardware store and ask about this Lutron one. If OK with you, I will continue this when we return and then do the rating so you get paid. I would still like to finish this. Thanks for all your help so far.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

No problem. Come back when ever you're ready to continue.