ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

I have put a new LV track lighting system in my house. It

Customer Question

I have put a new LV track lighting system in my house. It worked for about 9 months and failed. I thought it might be the bulbs so I replaced all 5 - that didn't work. I then replaced the dimmer switch with a standard on/off switch and that didn't work. I then replaced the transformer, and still no luck. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have been trying to fix it for a couple of days now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to

This sounds frustrating but, I can help if you have a multimeter.

Test the input & output of the transformer and let me know what voltage you have at each.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I do not have a multimeter. Its a brand new 120V/12V 150W transformer purchased from a lighting store.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Would it be possible to bortow or purchase one? It is not possible to troubleshoot the system without one. It is necessary to verify that you have power getting to and leaving the transformer to know where to look next.

Inexpensive metes can be found at Lowes & Home Depot.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is on a 3 way switch. Everything else on the circuit seems to be functioning. I have spent several hours and nearly $100 on trying to fix $200 fixture.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Yes sir/m'am, I understand that but without the proper tools, it is impossible to properly troubleshoot. Additionally, it is not uncommon to have "brand new" parts out of the box that are defective.

All I can advise without a meter is to check all connections at both switches and in the junction box for the fixture to verify that they are good.

I do not have any other advice.

Let me know if you get your hands on a meter. Thank you very much