Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

A bit baffled and therefore nervous! Am trying to add a 30

Customer Question

Hi. A bit baffled and therefore nervous! Am trying to add a 30 amp 240v breaker in my garage subpanel to service separate receptacles for two 5hp, ~24 amp machines that will never be run simultaneously. I am running out of room on the subpanel, therefore the shared circuit. Each machine is 3-wire, as is my 10 gauge feed from the breaker. However, the twistlock receptacles (required because the cords will be hanging vertically from the ceiling) allow for 4-wire hookup. How do I connect the wires to the receptacles from the adjacent junction box I just installed for them? A friend, who is an amateur electrician, recommended putting the grounds on the silver/neutral lug, leaving the ground lug unused as the feed is coming from a subpanel. Thanks for any advice!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you.

1) how many wires feeding the junction?

2) do the 2 machines require a neutral for operation?